Creative Entrepreneurship (Spring 2020)
Creativity: How Art Can Help One See with New Eyes (Harvard Business Review)
The Mom Test – How to Talk to Customers and Learn if Your Business is a Good Idea When Everyone is Lying to You (2014) by Bob Fitzpatrick
Grit : The Power of Passion and Perseverance (2016) by Angela Duckworth
Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers (2010) by Alexander Osterwalder
Crowdfunding Options for Creatives
For artists with an audience or fan-based support model, check out these creative crowdfunding services:
- Patreon is used by artists working in different media such as drawing and painting, podcasts, photography and theater. Comic artist Jeph Jacques, who makes the strip "Questionable Content," makes at least $7,000 per month from the site.
- PledgeMusic funds musicians working under a variety of genres, from hip hop to rock.
- AppsFunder is for funding app development, including games and productivity tools.
- Apart from Kickstarter, there are many crowdfunding sites that feature projects under a wide variety of different fields, such as Indiegogo and RocketHub.
Grants for Creatives
COLLEGE OF FINE ARTS
- Undergraduate Research Grant
- Undergraduate Travel Scholarship
- Graduate Professional Development Awards
- City of Austin
- Texas Cultural Trust
- Creative Capital
- Texans for the Arts
- Texas Commission on the Arts
- Even more grant opportunities
SEARCH WORDS TO HELP YOU GET STARTED:
- Arts funding
- Arts grants
- Cultural funding
- Arts resources
Broad searches like those above are great, but also take time to be specific. There are hundreds of websites with general information on funding opportunities, but the more targeted your searches, the more likely you will find the right opportunity for you.